Sugarloaf Mound

Sugarloaf Mound

The Old Courthouse St. Louis Houses The Museum of Westward Expansion Collections

The Old Courthouse St. Louis Houses The Museum of Westward Expansion Collections

MISSOURI ATTRACTIONS

Sugarloaf Mound, the sole remaining prehistoric mound in St. Louis, is located at 4420 Ohio Street, near HWY 55 (an alternate route to 66 between Chicago and St. Louis). Its unassuming height of approximately 100 feet can be mistaken for a small hill—especially since a modern house sits perched along the side of it.

The property is now owned by the Osage Nation. Although the mound wasn’t built by Osage people, evidence suggests Osage ancestors included a mound building society. For more information on the Osage, visit www.osagenation-nsn.gov

ATTRACTION

Old Courthouse St. Louis History Galleries
Museum of Westward Expansion Collections
11 North 4th Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
877-982-1410
www.gatewayarch.com

EVENT

April
Kathryn M. Buder Center for American Indian Studies Powwow
Washington University Athletic Complex
330 N. Big Bend Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63130
314-935-4677
http://buder.wustl.edu/Events/Pages/Pow-Wow.aspx

Missouria

Missouri and the Missouri River are named after the Missouria Tribe. In the language of the Illinois Indians, Missouria roughly translates to: “One who has dugout canoes.” In their own language, the Missouria called themselves Niuachi, meaning: “People of the river’s mouth.”

In 1804, the Otoe and Missouria tribes were the first in the region encountered by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark as they explored the lands west of the Mississippi River at the behest of President Thomas Jefferson.

For more information on the Lewis and Clark expedition, visit www.nps.gov/lec